Friday 7 November 2008

Where have all the squirrels gone?

I went for a walk to one of my favourite parks this week and was VERY disappointed by the lack of squirrels, despite me pretty much stalking around in a low crouch THE WHOLE WAY. So if I wasn't scaring them off, where have they gone? Well - I have two hypotheses (am trying to be more scientific B3!).

One: Squirrels are spotlight-grabbing media-loving wannabees. The BBC is filming 'Autumnwatch' locally on Brownsea Island. The island is famous for its red squirrel population. Clearly the local greys have got themselves a bad dye job and shipped off to the island to join in the fun.

Two: They have been roasted and eaten on a Portuguese Fireplace. Whilst on a walk in the New Forest last weekend I happened across some young boys skinning and roasting squirrels. I would have joined in but prefer to do the skinning myself.

Either way it is bad news for the local dog population. Perhaps now Autumnwatch is over they'll come back to their home parks. In the meantime I'm having to pretend that small fluffy dogs and birds are worth chasing, but it's not really the same.

3 comments:

Rez said...

Oh I do hope they come back to you. Their so much fun to chase up trees and then sit at the bottom looking all 'i could climb it if I wanted to you know'. Perhaps they are just on holiday, may I suggest rabbits at this time of year..... much fun..... if only I could get off this pesky lead.

R xx

Radio said...

hi ya!!!! guess where Willow lives now! http://willowvizsla.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oooh strange. I've never seen a red squirrel before. Is it like a vizsla squirrel. Or a squizsla? There's some funny things going on lately with red animals. I wonder if the Vizsla protection society is aware of these strange goings on.