Wednesday 29 August 2007

Testing times

I can't go to my park at the mo cos we've got some travelling folk who've moved in and have decided to use it as a toilet. I got far too close to the evidence for comfort (so says mum) so we've been avoiding it. This means I've been exploring new places, and in doing so have discovered squirrels! Squirrels are fab! I always thought they were great but you can really run after them too. Mum is less than impressed as I've started dragging her along when I see one, so apparently we're doing some 'desensitisation' tomorrow which I think means I get to eat lots of treats, so that will be good.

I'm also testing them at home with my barking. I've discovered this great high-pitched bark that I use when I want some attention. And let's face it - you can never have too much attention. They ignore me at home which is quite annoying, but if I do it out in the pub they can't do that. Hah! Mum wants tips on how to stop me - but don't tell her please. I'm loving it.

I met Rufus's grandma today - she works next to my favourite food shop. We popped in to say hi today. I hope Rufus might come down in a couple of weekends and come swimming with me, Ditto and Dexter, and hopefully Herbie and Hazel too - it will be our own mini southern viz whiz! Let me know if you're around bro! Any others in the region should come too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For attention seeking barking outside the house it is very hard because you have to be consistent - which is hard in a public place. If you drive to the pub every time he barks he gets put into the car for 5 mins then taken out and try again.

If he starts again then into the car again. He will soon learn that barking = loss of companionship.

If you don't drive to the pub. I would suggest that you go during a time when there arn't many people about to train it. Give random praise and treats when he is quiet (not when he has been barking and you have done anything to stop him or else he will learn that if i bark then i get told to be quiet and then get treats therefore i will bark more often!) if he starts barking (either ignore because it is quiet) or just pick his lead up and walk him in a circle then bring him back to the same spot - you must give no eye contact or touch and no commands either.

Hope this helps (sorry charlie)

Anonymous said...

Oooh mini viz whizz, that sounds great! I'm getting better with my swimming but mum says i need to try and keep my front legs under the water as at the moment I keep them straight and splash lots! I'll ask mum if i can come.

Anonymous said...

Yey, I can come! Don't tell your mum but I can also bark quite loudly so if you can get her to take us to your pub, we can cause a riot! hehehe see u soon bro, man hugs x

Diesel said...

Hello Ziggi and Charlie,
when I barked for attention at night Anthony came down and threw some water in my face then went back upstairs without saying anything to me.
I have not done that since.

Diesel.

Diesel said...

Hello Rufus,
my friend Coco used to try to swim upwards too.
Anthony has some very funny videos of her.

Diesel.

Charlie said...

Mum says thanks guys, although I'm not sure about this water throwing malarky! I'm quite good in the car actually - i'm just a bit fractious if I finish my snack in the pub before they finish their drinks :-)

Anonymous said...

As a baby puppy charlie and litter mates were taught the the top whistle (one long blast on 210 1/2 whistle) followed imediatly by the stern command QUITE, no names used so no saying quite charlie :)) no giving a treat as you are rewarding the previous barking.
when he has been quite for a few minutes a treat or bone could be given to amuse him but make sure you leasve along enough gap for him not to associate the food with the barking.